DWM1001 Safety for human use and interference with other radio waves

Hi,
I thought I had posted this earlier but I might have missed it.
Nature of UWB with low spectral density should be safe for humans and there shouldn’t be any interference.
However

1. Are there any specific tests done for effect of DWM1001 on humans and are there any safety certificates issued for the same
    2.Are there any specific test reports on interference with other radio signals.

I went through compliance and documents certification but didn’t find anything related to safety for humans.

I guess you can ask the same thing from a wifi routor or any radio product? DWM1001 is nothing more than a radio transmitter/receiver, if radio signal with 5g hz frequency (same as wifi/bluetooth) doesn’t hurt human, DWM1001 doesn’t hurt human body neither.

Yes theoretically tats the assumption , but having test reports / certifications will provide clear details and satisfactory for customers implementing UWB solution.

Any product should have test reports available showing how much energy they do transmit, for US licensed devices these can be obtained from the FCC web site if you know the FCC ID of the device (should be on a label or in the manual). For the EU there should be a declaration of conformity indicating that it passes the relevant standard but the availability of full reports is variable.

But that only gives you the numbers not the effect on people.

Mobile phones are required to have SAR (Specific Absorption Rate) tests performed to measure the amount of energy absorbed by someones head when using them. However those rules only apply for transmitters that are outputting hundreds of times more energy than the UWB power limits allow. The implication is that at the power levels UWB transmits there isn’t enough energy to have any impact.

For your second question: Interference with other radios. That is the main reason the power limits and regulations exist. The theory is that as long as everything complies to the standards then they shouldn’t interfere with each other under reasonable circumstances.
However the rules exist to ensure that the equipment I install in my house doesn’t break things in your house. If I’m daft enough to install two incompatible systems in my own house then that’s my problem. UWB is generally both immune to jamming from non-UWB signals and very unlikely to jam non-UWB systems however as with anything about the only way to be 100% certain is to test the specific combinations you want to use.

FCC ID search site: FCC ID Search | Federal Communications Commission

Thanks for the info Andy.

Just checked the manual for MDEK 1001 and found FCC notice but not the ID. Could be understandable as its just evaluation Kit.

FCC NOTICE: This kit is designed to allow (i) product developers to evaluate electronic components, circuitry, or software associated with the kit to determine whether to incorporate such items in a finished product and (ii) software developers to write software applications for use with the end product. This kit is not a finished product and when assembled may not be resold or otherwise marketed unless all required FCC equipment authorizations are first obtained. Operation is subject to the conditions that this device not cause harmful interference to licensed radio stations and that this device accept harmful interference. Unless the assembled kit is designed to operate under Part 15, Part 18 or Part 95 of the FCC Rules, the operator of the kit must operate under the authority of an FCC license holder or must secure an experimental authorization under Part 5 of the FCC Rules.

I did test in my environment and there was absolutely no problem , again theoretically there shouldn’t be any affect on interference or Humans .
However having solid test report or certificate done by decawave can be lot of value add .
I am sure decawave would have done tests , would be helpful if they are shared .

Any evaluation kit will have a similar disclaimer, the rules only apply to things sold as an end product. Evaluation kits and prototypes don’t need certification, since getting the certification takes time and money, no one does it if they don’t have to.

If you end up using an evaluation kit for long term use as if it was a final product then it is your responsibility to obtain the required approvals. If you fail to do so and someone complains that you are causing interference then you will have some explaining to do to the FCC (or local equivalent).

You could always look around and see if anyone is selling a product that uses a DWM1001, if so they must have carried out the required tests.

update

Looks like Decawave did test the DWM1001

Grantee code 2AQ33
Product code -DWM1001 (yes it starts with a -)

Searching for that should get you to this page: https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=6EoYeG2dg5RV2AAMDh85xA%3D%3D&fcc_id=2AQ33-DWM1001

Click on test report and you should get the full RF test report for the module.

Found using the advanced search and looking for an Applicant name of Decawave :slight_smile:

1 Like

This information is very useful . Thanks a lot Andy :slight_smile: