Powering DWM1001-DEV

Greetings

I recently bought MDEK1001 kit.
I have question regarding powering of DWM1001-DEV boards.
I know that I can use USB battery/ rechargeable battery as given in user manual.
Since, as per datasheet the input voltage is upto 3.6v , so in case of the DWM1001-DEV board, when I connect it from PC for UART communication, in that case board would be powered from laptop. So, would powering of DWM1001-DEV boards from PC cause any effect?

Thanks & regards
Asmita

would powering of DWM1001-DEV boards from PC cause any effect?
Ans: No
DWM1001-DEV boards have internal regulator. No need to worry.

Regards,
Nav

Thanks for answering.
Can I connect both battery and to my PC at same time?

Thanks & regards
Asmita

yes you can Asmita,

your battery will be charged by laptop/PC then.

Regards,
Madrin

Hi,

Do you know how much voltage/current the internal regulators can handle?

As can be seen in the schematic, the internal regulator of the DWM1001-dev is the RT8059. This regulator has a max recommended input voltage of 5.5V and an absolute max input voltage of 6.5V. Also note that the battery charger will go into over voltage protection when the input voltage is > 6.45V.

Regarding current, D15 has a max rated forward current of 0.5A, meaning no more than 0.5A should be drawn from the 5V supply, i.e USB or the 5V RPi pin. The max current that can be supplied by the regulator is 1.5A, but you will probably be limited by the 0.392W power dissipation limit. The inductor (L7) has a max current rating of 1.6A and a saturation current of 1.45A.

I would consider 500mA on the 3V4 rail a safe limit.

1 Like

Now I see. Thanks a lot.

Hi,
at the moment I have only non rechargeable battery.
Iā€™m wondering if it is safe connect the device to a PC while the non rechargeable battery is in.
Can you help me on this?

Regads
Davide

Hi david

I would advise against this since there is a battery charger on the DWM1001-DEV board. This could cause your battery to heat up and possibly be destroyed.

You should only use rechargeable, single-cell LiPo batteries.

Removing U9 (the charger IC) would allow you to use a non-rechargeable battery. Just make sure that the voltage is below the USB voltage.

You can also remove D14 if you always want to power the device from the battery.

Or you can connect your battery to VRPI (pin 2 and 4 of the Raspberry Pi header J10).