System capacity

Hi,
I saw in the DWM1001 System Overview that the frequency update is:
-750 tags @ 0.2 Hz
-150 tags @ 1 Hz
-15 tags @ 10 Hz
I need buy many tag, more that 1000, but in the maximum tens will be moving.
The frequency updated will be to this tens tags, i’m right?

Best Regards

Hi Costa,

The system has a 150Hz tag capacity. That’s why as you mentioned it supports 15 tags at 10Hz or 750 tags at 0.2Hz for example.

In order to optimize the system, it is possible to configure a different update rate depending if the tag is static or mobile (this is detected with a motion sensor within the module). So for example a static tag could have a 0.016Hz update rate (every minute), and 1Hz when in motion (every second). With such a configuration you can optimize the whole system tag capacity.

Does that help ?

Thanks
Yves

Read: 0.016Hz when stationary. Typo.
Regards.

1 Like

Hi,
ok, i understood, thank you for reply. Many tags can spend weeks without moving. I can decrease this stationary frequency in the user space to increase the battery life?
Other question is, if I put 750mah battery, how long can it last without recharging in this stationary frequency of 0.016Hz?

Best Regards

Hi Costa,

The stationary update rate can be seet in user app, or over UART/SPI api as well as BLE.

Regarding your battery questions, are you planning to design a custom tag PCB ? Note that the DEV boards is not meant to be use in final product. It features a ST MCU use as a segger device, which basically consume 13ma of current permanently.

With a custom Tag designed for low power, running low power mode at 0.016Hz 24 hours a day, battery life should largely exceed a year. (Depending on the current consumption of components other than DWM1001, it could reach 2-3 years in theory). A minimal TAG device should basically be DWM1001+3V3 DCDC, and that would offer the best power performance.

Thanks
Yves

Hi Yves_Bernard
I’m planning use the boards of MDEK kit, are the DWM1001-DEV boards.
But what boards should I use then?

Best Regards

Hi Costa,

MDEK device basically contains dwm1001-DEV boards. Those are development kits. You need to develop your own custom product hosting the dwm1001 modules only.

Thank you,
Regards
Yves

Ok Yves_Bernard, thank you for reply.

Best Regards