A question on customization of MDEK1001 (beginner)

Hello,
We have MDEK1001 kits to use for our research. From what I understand from the manuals, user is able to modify the location engine. This default engine uses up to 4 ranges computed by TWR as input. So, even if we customize the location engine, we are limited to time of flight based methods since we have ranges as input. I wonder if this device allows user to customize the first step of the problem, like implementing a time difference of arrival based method instead of TWR. Sorry if I missed something in manuals about this question. Thanks in advance.

Hey there.
The firmware (PANS2.0) is from the decawave and it is “closed”. I dont remenber if there is any way to use syncronized anchors to use the TDoA with the incoming firmware.
The only way is to you developd your own code and protocol. As far as i know…
Cheerz

We want to use Mdek1001, which is applied to the range of 1kmX1km outdoors. Do you have any suggestions on how to use it?

Well, the mdek devices have a limitation on the distances acquirence, as you can read on the product documentation. I belive something like 30 meters. Dont forget that if you use the original firmware PANS2.0 more limitations can be implied. If you develop your own firmware you extend a litle bit, by changing the uwb parameters… I remenber doing something like using the simple example and i obtain like almost 70 meters. It was on outdoor and no objects on the way…So it depends how you want to implement. On 1km x 1km you need more anchors on the way i belive…

Hi
@hozer The PANS firmware is provided as a close source binary and there is not possible exchange the TWR for TDOA. You need to develop your own code.

@ysly.chen @ruigomes is correct, the operating distance is between 20~30m depends on environment. You need to install more anchors in your area or develop another RTLS solution with different UWB settings + LNA as a signal booster.

Cheers
JK

1 Like

For reference we have deployed a UWB solution covering around 800m x 40m. That took 44 anchors. 1 km x 1 km would take a lot more.
Admittedly our system uses 8 or more anchors at a time to improve accuracy, if you only required 4 in range you could thin that out a little.