Best development kit to for DWM1000 or DWM1001 for STM32

Dear all,

Last year I have worked with the STM32 controllers. Now I would like to make a indoor positioning system for a driving robot, So the exact position is always known.

For the start of this project, first of all I would like to learn about the Decawave chip. For this I want to buy a development kit.

My question is, which development kit is best to start with, so I can program it with a STM32 controllers.

Thanks in advance,
Kind regards,
TMJJ

Hi TMJJ,

For Indoor Positioning system, Decawave provides solution based on 3 Technologies.

1. TWR
  2. TDOA
  3. PDOA

Please refer this App notes for more details on these technologies - https://www.decawave.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/APS003_DW1000-RTLS-Introduction_v1.1.pdf

Based on the preferred application, we can choose the Development Kit to start with.

1. TREK1000 Evaluation kit supports TWR - DW1000 is Interfaced with STM32 Controller in both Tag and Anchor
  2. TTK 1000 Evaluation Kit supports TDOA - DW1000 is Interfaced with STM32 Controller for Anchor and DW1000 is Interfaced with Nordic Controller for Tag
  3. PDOA Kit supports PDOA Technology - DW1000 is Interfaced with Nordic Controller for both Tag and Anchor
  4. MDEK 1000 kit supports TWR - DW1000 is Interfaced with Nordic Controller in both Tag and Anchor

Thanks & Regards,
Deepa

1 Like

When picking which type of system you plan to use also keep in mind where the position is calculated and the infrastructure requirements.
e.g. TWR offers a lower update rate but anchor nodes can all be independent while TDoA can give a higher update rate but requires very accurate time synchronization between anchors.
TWR the tag can calculate its own location, TDoA the infrastructure calculates the tags location.

Hi all,

First of all, thanks for the support.

I will read the document and search for the best system.
Maybe it also helps to explain what my goal is. (Probably after long time of prototyping and learning ;))

The goal is to make an autonomous driving robot on a dairy farm.

Kind regards,
TMJJ