Customizing DWM3000EVB by placing DW3120 , removing DW3110 in order to get angular measurement on the DWM3000 side , how to do?

Hi ; :slightly_smiling_face:
i try to get the angular measurement from on the dwm3000evb side :pleading_face: , but regarding to the discussing on the forum of decawave and the limit of capability of the specification on DW3110 on the pre mount on dwm3000evb from Qorvo , it will not be able to get angle of arrival or any of angular measurement(azimuth, elevation ) :disappointed_relieved:
however after reading the specification of DW3120 , i found out that :wink: , it will be able to get angular measurement , BUT the Qorvo DWM3000EVB will not have dw3120 on board :disappointed_relieved: , in the moment Qorvo only provide dw3110 with DWM3000EVB , so i think , i need to remove the dw3110 out and replace the dw3120 on the dwm3000evb as the photo below

replace

dw3120_ic

i think it should be de soldering dw3110 and soldering dw3120 on dwm3000evb
please anyone or decawave , let me know ,

1. can i do this , it will work or not ? :thinking:
  2. where is the libray (api ) code to implement it ? (documentation ) :thinking:

3.how to put uwb antenna? which kind of antenna will i need to use ? 2 antennas? gap between 2 antenna ? position to place the antenna ? :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

please let me know

Hi @matthew_gohen
for doing this you need to replace the whole module and that is doable.

You cannot replace the DW3110 with DW3120. As the DW31xx is in CSP package - super small chip. And even if you will be able to preplace it then in DWM3110 is only one antenna routed out and the second is not. So replacement will not help.

Cheers,
JK

1 Like

great :ok_man: :+1: recommendation

regarding to your response -->. for doing this you need to replace the whole module and that is doable.

how to do that ? do i have to remove whole of dwm3000 base as the photo below ? how to find dual uwb antenna because i do not see the photo in specification (DW3120 - Qorvo) of the antenna of dw3120 that said : * Two antenna ports allows Phase Difference of Arrival implementation with a single chip ? coding API ?:thinking:

Hi @matthew_gohen

re desoldering) I prefer to put the while PCB to preheater with maximum setting and once it is heated up then I take the desoldering hot air gun with big nozzle and heat it up from TOP side and once the tin melt down then I slowly slide it off the PCB. But the whole proces is not easy and if you do not have any precise with it then rather don’t do it. You can destroy the PCB easily.

re antenna)
Im not sure if there is any pubic AoA available so far. Try to google for it.

re
Two antenna ports allows Phase Difference of Arrival implementation with a single chip ?
Yes.

re coding API)
Check - DWS3000 API Software and API Guide

Cheers
JK

1 Like

thanks , great; :ok_man: it seems to be harder for precising as you said :confused: , only can try it out ,maybe damage the pcb :grimacing:
1.regarding to the specification ,two antenna ports allows Phase Difference of Arrival implementation with a single chip ,β€”> so with 2 uwb antennas ,can i only get the 2D AOA ,right ?? :thinking:
2. in order to get 3D AOA and azimuth and elevation angle on the **side of pcb dwm3000 as shown photo below on the iphone11 side (MAYBE I CAN SAY -->MAKE IPHONE 11 AS TAG ) , does i theoretically have to use 3 uwb antennas on / attach to the pcb dwm3000 ,right ?? :thinking:
3.where is the code library ,API to support 3 antennas?? :face_with_monocle: Qorvo decawave provide it ?? :thinking:, where is the code library ,API to support 3 antennas?? in the DWS3000 API Software and API Guide ?? :face_with_monocle: :thinking: i could not find it :pleading_face: :disappointed_relieved: :face_with_monocle:

please let me know :pleading_face:

Hi @matthew_gohen

Regarding your questions.
re 1) Yes with 2 antennas you get only 2D position - distance + angle
re 2) Sorry I cant provide the answer here (I have a limited knowledge about this), better ask again in forum with the regard of this.
re 3) Better to ask Qorvo, I cant provide you any help here.

Cheers
JK

1 Like

thanks for your response :ok_man::slightly_smiling_face: