DWM 1001-dev mode selection

I have a MDEK-1001 kit and I´d like to know if I can change channel 5 (6.5 GHz) to channel 2 (4GHz). If so, how can I do it ? I know that doc APU001: Configuring the DW1000 modes 1-16 shows a c code at the end of doc, but how can I install and run it ?

Another question refers to the antenna that comes with the kit. It is said that it is optimized to 6.5 GHZ but if I want to configure mode 2, shall I change to another antenna model?

No, you cannot change the MDEK to ch2. It is a solid certified product, i.e. the set of hw+sw.

If you do change to CH 2, it will invalidate the regulatory compliance, but you can pay to have it retested/recertified, and there are a few rules where you can operate without certification. For example, under FCC 47 CFR 2.805 which allows for demo and evaluation.

You can also seek a special permit from the FCC for particular use cases. We have done that in a few instances when we deployed new hardware in some events before it was certified. These are only for limited use cases of limited duration.

For other jurisdictions besides FCC, similar rules usually exist.

You cannot use the FCC ID, DoC, etc, of the MDEK if you change the channel (or tx power, or many other parameters that affect spectral purity and power). You are on your own when it comes to regulatory compliance.

As a practical matter, the antenna on the DWM1001 is likely not very good at CH 2, so it wouldn’t be a worthwhile effort in any case, so test that first before investing time and effort into such a project.

Mike Ciholas, President, Ciholas, Inc
3700 Bell Road, Newburgh, IN 47630 USA
mikec@ciholas.com
+1 812 962 9408

1 Like

Mike:
Thanks for the answer but I still don´t understand some points and if you could help me clarifying som aspects I´ll appreciate:

1. I saw that decawave is only certified in 6.5 GHZ in FCC but MDEK-1000 allows to change the channel. So, why they didn´t certify in the frequency of 4GHz ?

2. My regulatory is Anatel, from Brazil, and according to its rules it follows exactly the same regulations from FCC. I believe I can certify to use in 4GHz and develop a new antenna, but I´d like to know if in this lower frequency , the EIRP should be -51dbm/MHz instead or could be -41.3 dbm/MHz. It was not very clear to me according to FCC

3. The FCC alerts that the equipment should not be used in outdoor applications if you don´t use any infrastructure. Am I correct ? If I want to have several anchors in an outdoor environment, is there another way to use it and being in compliance with regulator?

Once again, thanks for your help!

You will have to ask Decawave as I don’t speak for them.

I will note that the FCC rules for UWB get more complex for the lower bands. 15.517 requires use only “indoors” and 15.519 requires use only for “hand held” devices, and perhaps neither of which can be assured for the DWM1001 on which the MDEK is based.

If certifying under 15.250, the rule the DWM1001 is certified under presently, and you go to a lower band, you have to be under -51.3 dBm/Mhz EIRP. This is a 10 dB penalty in power which will reduce your range to about 30-50% of what it was before. This assumes the antenna on a DWM1001 actually works well at lower bands, which I don’t think it does. I don’t think Decawave tested it for the lower bands under 15.250 in any case, so there’s no regulatory basis for doing that.

If you certify under 15.517 or 15.519, then you can use -41.3 dBm/MHz EIRP. But you have to abide by the use limitations (indoors, or handheld). I don’t think Decawave certified the DWM1001 under 15.517 or 15.519. That could happen in the future, though.

I am not directly familiar with the Brazil rules for UWB.

This is a complex subject I have written about previously:

Unlike most radio rules, UWB has use case limitations. Anchors mounted outdoors which transmit are in a gray area. Any truly usable UWB system has one or more fixed transmitters somewhere.

Mike Ciholas, President, Ciholas, Inc
3700 Bell Road, Newburgh, IN 47630 USA
mikec@ciholas.com
+1 812 962 9408