DWM3000 TDOA example

Dear Decawave/Qorvo Team,
Is there any TDOA example on DWM3000 like those on DWM1001, found at your repository:

Thank you in advance.
Best regards

2 Likes

I am interested in this too…

No, we currently do not have any TDoA examples for the DWM3000 and we don’t have any plans to develop this in the near future afaik. Our current efforts are mainly focused towards PDoA and working with mobile devices.

Note that for TDoA applications accurate timekeeping is required. The DWM3000 uses a regular xtal as clock source, meaning it is not very suitable as TDoA anchor. A TDoA anchor based on a more accurate / stable TCXO is often preferred to simplify timekeeping in TDOA setups.

1 Like

Hi, seppe,
Does pdoa have a development kit in the future?

Hi GiovanniP

Even I’m looking for tag and anchor for dw3000. Did you find anything for dw3000 tag and anchor. If you found means please can you share with me.?

thanks in advance
Regards
kalmesh

1 Like

The DWS3000 API Software and API Guide available from the DWM3000 section of the product documentation web page includes a number of examples including ds_twr_init and ds_twr_resp. These are short for double sided two way ranging initiator and responder, also known as tags and anchors.

Hi AndyA

Thank you so much for the reply :star_struck: :smiling_face:
Will those work for the DW3000…??

Yes. The DWM3000 is just a DW3000 with an antenna and clock added so that all it needs is power and an SPI bus.

Assuming you only need a single antenna it’s a good way to verify your firmware on known good hardware before trying to spin your own DW3000 pcb.

Hi AndyA

By using this data can we track the location in visual method…?? Or should we require any other code like PDoA to track the location…??

That code will give you point to point ranges. If you measure from the tag to several anchors and know where those anchors are then you can calculate your location. PDoA gives you additional information and so reduces the number of anchors required.

How you go about calculating the location based on these measurements depends on your system requirements. Decawave don’t supply source code examples of how to do this however I think some examples have been posted here in the past.
There are lots of different ways to do it varying from the very simple (assume 2D, use two ranges to calculate two possible solutions, use a 3rd range (or logic) to pick between the two) to the complex (overdetermined positions using kalman filters and compensating for all sorts of error sources). Generally the simpler ways will be less accurate but are good enough for most applications.

1 Like

Thanks AndyA for the reply

But i no where find much about the examples related to dw3000 in past :disappointed: i.e., for tags and anchors

Dear Seppe, I think you are part of Decawave/Qorvo development team.
Sorry if I bother you again, but I lost the point about Decawave/Qorvo plan.
It is specified that:
" The DWM3000 module is based on Qorvo’s IEEE802.15.4z-2020 UWB compliant wireless transceiver, the DW3110 IC.

DWM3000 is pin and size compatible with the DWM1000, and it offers full flexibility to support a broad range of UWB applications. When compared with the previous-generation module, the DWM3000 offers substantial improvements on power consumption and the addition of CH9 support.

Product Features:

• Integration of DW3110 IC, antenna, power management and optimum RF layout simplifies design integration
  • Easily interfaced via SPI slave to a wide range of microcontrollers
  • Support IEEE 802.15.4-2015 and IEEE 802.15.4z-2020 (BPRF mode)
  • Data rates of 850Kbps and 6.8Mbps
  • Worldwide UWB support with UWB Channels 5 (6.5GHz) and CH9 (8GHz)
  • 23mm x 13mm x 2.9mm 24-pin side castellations
  • Supports ToF, TWR and TDoA location schemes

The DWM3000 is currently shipping as engineering sample units."

So I though it is an evolution of dwm1000, indicated for new projects and supporting TDOA (as written).
Am I wrong? Which module do you suggest for new project ?
Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards

1 Like