How can I set 1 anchor + 1 Tag mode?

Hi,
I want to get distance data only.
So I tried to set 1 anchor + 1 Tag mode by using DRTLS app.
But I can’t find menu or manual that enable setting 1+1 mode on DRTLS app.
Could you tell me how can I set 1+1 mode on DRTLS app or PC terminal?
Thank you.

Hello Sundong

This is explained briefly in section 5.1, “1 Anchor + 1 Tag”, of the MDEK1001 System User Manual. This also applies to other PANS / DWM1001 devices.

In general you should make sure:

• The anchor is set as initiator
  • The tag is active
  • Both anchor and tag have the same PAN ID

Note that the DRTLS app is not designed to display relative distances, instead is designed to show absolute positions. The best way to get the distance is probably using the UART or BLE API of the TAG, e.g using the les or lec UART commands (see sections 6.18 and 6.19 of the DWM1001 Firmware API Guide).

1 Like

Thank you for answering!!
I’ll try.
I still have some question.

1. Is PAN ID mean “network id” in DRTLS application?
  2. Can tag communicate PC or tablet with BLE in 1 Anchor + 1 Tag mode?
    MDEK1001 Kit User Manual show that Tag seems to communicate PC with USB only in 5.1 and Figure 4.
  3. Could you tell me more specific method for setting 1+1 mode with UART?
    I’m not sure if I can just enter the commands provided DMW1001 Firmware API guide in Tera Term.
  1. Correct, PAN ID is called network ID in the DTRLS application. PAN ID is a concept defined in IEEE802.15.4-2011, the underlying standard, but network ID makes more sense for the app.
  2. Yes, the tag can communicate with a PC or tablet in this mode over BLE, UART (USB) or SPI. In fact, since the app assumes a setup with 3+ anchors, it is the only way to properly use this setup. I suggest looking into the UART over USB interface first since it is fairly simple.
  3. You should be able to connect the tag to your computer using a micro USB cable, install the drivers for Segger CDC if they are not automatically installed by Windows / your OS, and use Tera Term / Putty / minicom / … with the correct settings to start communication with the tag. You can then press the enter key twice to start the shell mode and use the lec or les command to start printing the distances. See section 4.3 of the DWM1001 firmware user guide and section 6 of the firmware API guide.
1 Like

Hi Seppe,
it is possible to get the Tag orientation (accelerometer data) via BLE?
Thank you
Nori

Hello Nori

The accelerometer data does not seem to be available over BLE, but it would be possible to create a user application running alongside PANS that would allow you to expose this yourself.

Keep in mind that the accelerometer used in the DWM1001 does not allow to get “compass” style orientation / bearing / heading, but it does allow to read 3 axis acceleration including gravity (meaning you can use things like “tilt” and fall detection). The accelerometer is primarily intended to be used as a way of detecting movement, allowing to increase battery lifetime by adapting the ranging activity based on whether or not the device is being moved. It can not be used to display the heading of a device. For this reason it does not make a lot of sense to expose this information over BLE.

We have some new products coming in the future that have an on board magnetometer and gyroscope that would be able to provide heading information, which makes more sense to enhance the location data.

Thank you!
Your answer is really helpful to me.
I want to know one more thing.
Can I change Location data mode by using shell command in UART shell mode?
I want to get distance data only, but it seems that Pisition + distances mode is initial setting in location data mode.
I tried to find command to set distances mode in location data mode with UART shell mode, but I failed to find.
Is there any method to change (location data)mode without making BLE app to change mode?

I believe the location data mode is only used over BLE. The UART shell commands always show both position and distances, the position will be 0 0 0 if the location is not calculated. You can also disable the location engine using the acts command, see section 4.4.7 in the Firmware API guide.

1 Like

Hi,
I have been trying out 1 anchor + 1 tag mode. While I am able to read the tag’s location over UART shell (les command), I am unable to read the tag’s location from a listener connected on UART shell (i.e. 1 anchor + 1 tag + 1 listener mode). I need this because, for my proximity sensing application, the tag needs to be on a moving asset, and cannot be connected directly to a reader. Any suggestions?