PANS R2: Some questions on the Gateway application of DWM1001

Hi

I have read the DWM1001 Gateway quick deployment guide and have some questions about the the gateway application.

1. In order to run the gateway examples, we need Raspberry Pi as a host to control the DWM1001. Can we use other WiFi modules(such as ESP8266) as a host?

2.The deployment guide mention there are new software components:web-manager GUI. Is it open source? Can we get the source code of the web-manager?

3.Can we know the details on how the Raspberry Pi interact with the DWM1001 to get/set all the information from the Tags/Anchors?
For example, what TLV request is send to the DWM1001 to get the position of the Tag?Or what TLV request is send to config the existing Tags/Anchors?
Thanks.
mhc

1 Like

Hi MHC,

At the moment only the raspberry pi 3 model b is supported as a host. There is currently no plan to port the gateway software suite to other hardware.

All the gateway software is hosted on the raspberry pi and technically open source. At the moment, we cannot really support customization of this software stack, but we’ll be looking into providing some documentation to get people starting if they wish to.

Thanks
Yves

2 Likes

Hello,
First of all, thank you for your effort on the new Release.

I have some questions:

1.- A listener node in Release1 must be in BLE range to a tag to receive the tag location messages. If the listener is far from the tag, it is not possible to get the tag locations. I guess this won’t happen for a bridge node in Release2. Is this correct?

2.- We can use the TLV ‘dwm_usr_data_write’ command or the shell command ‘uui’ to send uplink IoT data from a tag or anchor. These data are received on a node configured as bridge node. Could we get the location and IoT data directly reading from the bridge node by the SPI or UART interfaces? (Not using the HTTP server or MQTT broker).

3.- I have the alternative question: could we send configuration or IoT data to a remote node (anchor or tag) from the SPI/UART interfaces of the bridge node?

Regards
Epenciso

2 Likes

Hi Epenciso,

1. The bridge node must be in UWB range to the tags and anchor. There is no dependency on BLE.

2/3. At the moment we don’t have such a SPI API.

Thanks
Yves

Hi Yves,

Thanks for your reply.

It would be great if you can provide such documentation so we can have more customization which suit our development.

Thanks.
mhc

“The bridge node must be in UWB range to the tags and anchor”

Does this mean that I will need a gateway in direct range of a tag if I want to get the tag’s location information?
I would like to have one gateway on the system and be able to access the locations of every tag on the network. Is that impossible if the network is larger than the direct range of the gateway?

Hi Jeffy,

Yes it is what it means. A tag must always be visible by at least one gateway over UWB to be reported on the mqtt or on the web manager.

If the tag is not with range with the gateway, then you will not receive the tag location on the mqtt broker or on the web manager.

For extensive network, you will need multiples gateway to ensure you cover the full network.

Yves

Would this happen also for the anchors? Do they need to be in direct UWB range to the bridge node to receive/send configuration or IoT data?

Hi Epenciso,

Yes it applies to anchors as well.

Yves

Okay, thank you for the clarification.