Proximity application

Hi there,

Is there a way to implement a simple proximity detection based on anchor/tag ID ? The simplest way would just be for the the anchor to have available (to the higher app layer) a list of tags connected to it, so we can check the distance and proceed with the corresponding action when the proper tag ID meets some distance requirement. But I can’t find such a list in the API.

Another way would be if the tag could send directly to the anchor the final range calculated to it, but in the simplest way, this is, by using the already existing UWB link between them. Because having to define extra hardware (gateway, raspberry, …) to just get this simple range seems too much when you just need a couple of devices (1 anchor + 1 tag).

Am I missing something here ? Is this really possible but I’m not getting it ?

Thanks.

Hi,

no, this is not possible in PANS. But if the system has only 1 Anchor + 1 Tag, then why not switch the roles? I.e. you would collect the measurements on the Tag.

Cheers,
TDK

Thanks for your reply.

Well, 1A + 1T is obviously a simplification for the proximity application. Usually you’d have multiple moving points and one fixed location checking the distance of those points just to check if any particular action must be initiated because of the proximity of some of them.

But it is not a bad idea the one about switching roles… and quite simple, truth be told. Would it be possible with multiple anchors and turning off the location engine in the tag ? Would still be necessary one of the anchors being an initiator ?

Thanks.

You can do simple point-to-point measurements by direct-driving DWM1000 modules, see Iosoft Blog for an example.

Hi,

for 1A + 1T it would work but if you have multiple Anchors moving around then it would not be a solution. The problem is that there must be some Initiator to start the network. If the Initiator(s) move around then it will not work correctly.

Cheers,
TDK