Tag power consumption when out of range + short presence time

We want a use the dwm1001 in a specific localization scenario.
The tag is configured with a very low update rate. Almost the time the tag is out of range of the anchors (outside of the positioning system).
The tag have to be localized only when it enters the positioning system area (usually once a week). After a presence time between 1sec and 3s the tag leaves the area again.
My questions are:
Do the tag power consumption change if the tag is out of range of the anchors?
Can the tag find its position in such short presence time?

Many Thanks
Nori

Hi Nori,

in short, this cannot be achieved with PANS if you run in low power mode.

In PANS, the lowest power consumption can be achieved when the Tag has Low Power mode enabled (i.e. Responsive mode = 0).

When the Tag is out of the range of the network, it will give up seeking for the network and go to deep sleep. Once a time it will wake up and check if there is any network available. The sleep period between seeking will increase until 60s. So if the Tag enters the network for only for 1-3s, then there is high chance it will not know about that.

Network seek is done via BT if it is enabled. Once detected it will switch on the UWB which consumes more energy. If the BT is not enabled, it will always use UWB for seeking.

Cheers,
TDK

Many thanks for your answer. That will definitely fit to my application.
I am using the iot-range example for sending acceleration and range data to the Gateway.
I would like to ask you:
How to enable the Low Power mode by using the C-API (for example within the iot-range example) ? (Responsive mode = 0)
Many thanks for your support

Nori

Hi Nori,

see this documentation: https://www.decawave.com/sites/default/files/dwm1001-api-guide.pdf
and also dwm-simple. API call dwm_cfg_tag_set.

Cheers,
TDK