Unable to build dwm-simple

I am unable to build the dwm-simple project from SEGGER Embedded Studio. Unfortunaly, the error message in the output is not very helpful.

Rebuilding 'dwm-simple' from solution 'dwm-simple' in configuration 'dwm1001_configuration'
1> output/compiler/dwm-simple.o does not exist.
1> Compiling 'dwm-simple.c'
1> ~/Downloads/gcc-arm-none-eabi-5_4-2016q3/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc -c dwm-simple.c -I./../../include -I./../../lib -I. -mcpu=cortex-m4 -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16 -mfloat-abi=hard -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -Wall -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes -Wundef -Wno-write-strings -mthumb -O0 -g -fno-exceptions -Wno-pointer-arith -DNRF52 -DNRF52832 -D__LINT__=0 -o /home/milner/Downloads/DWM1001/Source_Code/DWM1001_on_board_package/dwm/examples/dwm-simple/output/compiler/dwm-simple.o
Build failed

Whats odd about this is that if I just use the command from a terminal, it works fine with an unimportant warning.

milner@canterbury:~/Downloads/DWM1001/Source_Code/DWM1001_on_board_package/dwm/examples/dwm-simple$ ~/Downloads/gcc-arm-none-eabi-5_4-2016q3/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc -c dwm-simple.c -I./../../include -I./../../lib -I. -mcpu=cortex-m4 -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16 -mfloat-abi=hard -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -Wall -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes -Wundef -Wno-write-strings -mthumb -O0 -g -fno-exceptions -Wno-pointer-arith -DNRF52 -DNRF52832 -D__LINT__=0 -o /home/milner/Downloads/DWM1001/Source_Code/DWM1001_on_board_package/dwm/examples/dwm-simple/output/compiler/dwm-simple.o
dwm-simple.c: In function 'app_thread_entry':
dwm-simple.c:115:19: warning: unused variable 'pos' [-Wunused-variable]
         dwm_pos_t pos;

Any ideas?

Any updates on using Embedded Studio?

Your error looks like a linux access rights issue. I tried on windows and I documented the version used v5.40 and one fixed ifdef error here

Developping with nordic sdk is not fun, I ported those samples to Zephyr and the latest connect SDK. You can find links in the same page, if you have any issue building that let me know.
note that I’m also using a more recent version of arm gcc gnu_arm_embedded/10 2020-q4-major.