Wired time sync dwm1000 dwm1001

Hi,
I noticed that the dwm1001 has no sync pin, and no option for an external clock.
The dwm1000 has a sync pin but no option for an external clock.
I did read the application note regarding this issue.

Will it be sufficient to only sync the dwm1000 modules once every 100 ms for a TDOA application?
Is there any other way to implement wired time sync for a TDOA application on the dwm1001 or the dwm1000?
I would rather not work with the dw1000 because it will take a lot of development time to make a proof of concept.

Is there any info about the internal clock drift of these modules?

i did read the application note regarding wired time sync, but i would like to do it with the dwm1000 or dwm1001

Kind regards,

Some quick back of the envelope numbers:

If you assume possible clock differences between the modules of 1 ppm (about the resolution of the crystal trim control) then over 100 ms that works out as 100 ns of difference which gives you a potential range error of 30 meters.

So at first glance it wouldn’t work.

You could do some tricks, e.g. if you know the sync is exactly 100 ms you could potentially calculate a clock error for each unit and so correct for them.
People have made wireless sync work so it is possible to do this sort of thing but it adds complexity.

Hi,

thank you for your helpful reply.
I noticed that the dwm1000 acctualy doesn’t have a sync pin…

So i was wondering. Whithin the dwm1001 examples, which does not use pans. Is there a way to do a reset of the clock within software?

Any function that provides this functionallity? or is there any other way to get synced time stamps.

kind regards,

The dwm1000 does have a sync pin. It’s one of the GPIO pins, if you set the registers to the correct values it will act as the sync pin. The documentation don’t mention this because the benefit of a sync pin when you can’t give it an external clock source is somewhat questionable.

thanks, that is helpfull.

i am still curious about this tho, i hope you can answer this.
Whithin the dwm1001 examples, which does not use pans. Is there a way to do a reset of the clock within software?

Any function that provides this functionallity? or is there any other way to get synced time stamps.

Kind regards,

Sorry, no idea, never used the dwm1001. Hopefully someone else can help.

I don’t think the DWM1000 or DWM1001 is a reasonable choice for implementing TDOA base stations. Except that the DWM1001 does not bring up the SYNC pin, they use a less precise crystal oscillator, which is a big problem, whether it is wired synchronization or wireless synchronization. If you need it, I think I can express two DW1000 modules designed by our company for your evaluation. It not only leads to the SYNC pin, but also integrates the higher precision TCXO, the model is DSB221SDNB, 0.5ppm. If necessary, you can also choose to access a more accurate homologous crystal from the outside.

Hi Tommy,

That would be great!