UWB tag with BLE

Hi all,
The out-of-the-box PANS network is very nice, and easy to use. But if I understand things correctly, PANS locks up the BLE stack, so that no extra BLE functionality can be added. Correct?
Theoretical project
Have a tag that connects to a ble heart rate device, and report the data over the UWB network.
What approach should I take?
Could I set up the anchors and bridge with standard PANS FW, and create my own tag to do the ble connection to the HR belt, and localize using the ss_twr_init example here
no PANS example
?

Hi Jakes,

Indeed PANS does not provide any possibility of customizing the BLE stack. Only a TAG running PANS will be able to communicate with an anchor/bridge running PANS.

It seems like you have a fairly specific application in mind, associating BLE and UWB. In that situation you probably need to implement a custom UWB solution. The ss_twr examples can be a starting point but please note those examples are very basic and far from the complexity of PANS from an application perspective. For example if you need to supports multiples UWB tags, you may need to implement a TDMA layer (this is what is implemented in PANS).

Another approach could be to keep the DWM1001 running pans as it is, and use another host MCU with BLE for the BLE stack. This is not optimized but could be a work-around.

Hope it helps,
Yves

Thanks for the response Yves.
That sounds like a daunting task.
Are there still no plans to release an open source version of PANS?
Any resources besides those in the Product_and_Design_Documents folder?

Hi Jakes,

At the moment, there are no plan to open the PANS library.

There are other solutions aside from PANS that could help, must developing what you are trying to achieve will necessarily require advanced software development.

If you are looking into PoC at the moment, I would recommend to use the dwm1001 as slave only, with another MCU with dedicated BLE running as host. That’s not suitable for commercial application but at least you can get started.

Hope it helps,
Yves